22 February 2011

Before and After: Grey Clouds Weathered Side Table









This sturdy antique solid wood side table has been sitting in my studio since last summer, just waiting for inspiration. I don't know why it took so long but when it hits - you have to just go with it! Since it's been soooo long since I shared this thrifting find, here's a reminder.


Pretty old school eh? This is one super solid piece - it weighs a ton! But the wood carving on the legs is simply amazing. I decided to really bring the detail out by distressing the table and keeping the antique brass hardware for a vintage meets modern feel. I had sanded the piece way back when I first got it (don't you love it when the hard work is done??). So I simply had to pick out a beautiful stormy weather greenish grey, paint several coats and then sand away at the edges and carved bits to reveal all the luscious solid wood goodness!  Of course I sealed it all up with a couple of coats of water-based polyurethane.

Here she is with her brand new, freshened up Lather Creations style!


Isn't she lovely? So light and bright now, but still with vintage styling to show off her charms. I don't usually work with brass hardware, but it seemed to suit the piece. Thoughts? Are you loving the brass revival or is it just not for you?

Here's a few more pics of Grey Clouds to share.






If you live in the Winnipeg area and simply must have the Grey Clouds Weathered Side Table, you can buy it here Or if you have a dated piece of furniture that could use  a Lather Creations refresh, email me at lhume1@mts.net and let's have a chat!


Have a lovely week friends!


7 comments:

  1. oooh that is beautiful! i love the finish- the details and hardware really stand out now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the overall shape of the table, and the fact that the drawer is on the bottom instead of the top. Very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the antique brass, looks great with your paint colour. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, I love the distressing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference paint can make! The table looks great and I love the distressing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, she is gorgeous! I wish that I could say that I have a home for her here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table is beautiful! Great color, great detail and great hardware. Really nicely done, Lenore!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore