08 April 2010

Going Social

I love work luncheons because it's nice to leave the office and i'm a bit of a learning geek.  So it's great to take in some new info.

Liz Hover was the guest speaker discussing the current hot topic of social media.  This was timely for me in both a personal and professional sense.  Personal because of the recent kick off of this blog.  Professional because we're developing a brand new company website and I'm writing the majority of the content.

Not a fan of the term social media, Liz prefers to explain the new communications direction as 'using the internet to communicate and interact with others'.  She gave a rundown on the the basics of twitter, facebook and other related tools that will benefit any marketing communicator.  With an emphasis on the commitment required to keep content fresh and relevant, Liz explained that if you are not interacting and responding to the people following your business - you might as well not bother.  It's not hard but it does take a real time commitment.  A commitment worth making to stay relevant in the new world of communications.

I was pretty pumped up by the influx of brand, spankin' new ideas so I finally caved and created my own twitter account.  This will help me link my blog to an even wider audience.

She also stressed the importance of creating content that is genuinely interesting to readers.  What problems do they want solved?  What information would help them?  What do they want to know about?  Liz's own blog Diary of a Web Gal was a great inspiration, you should definitely check it out.

I've got a lot of questions to ask myself to truly fine tune my own content.  Thanks for following along for the journey!

Written with love,
Lenore

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! I wanted to start one too, but I would not be able to write about my job beacause of confidentiality reasons...so then I wouldn't have that many interesting stories to share. I did start blogging with my students. They love it! Imagine nine and ten year olds blogging. It is great because it is through the school division site so everything is totally private. Anyways, I'm so excited about it that I'm telling everyone I see. I'm sure I'll talk about it at Splurge on the 30th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shauna! Your nice comments are definitely keeping me motivated! That's great that you are doing it with the kids, it's so much harder to learn about this stuff at our age...they will be so ahead of the curve. What about blogging about your new camera and learning about photography? You could post the shots you take and keep a journal of all the new tips and tricks you learn from other people, the net and your own experiences? I would love to read a blog like that!

    Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a possibility....but right now all I do is point and shoot. It has worked for the most part. I should upload some photos of Cuba soon. I am feeling blogging happy lately... I just like reading others blogs and commenting on them. Perhaps I will attempt to start my own blog. Maybe something like 63 days of summer....a teacher's nine week summer vacation. I think people may get mad and write me nasty messages. I do like the idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really good idea. Who cares if people get mad, if they don't like it they don't have to read it! It would be a good experiment for you to do it for a short period of time and see how you like it...

    Lenore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore